The Last Supplication Before going to Bed: Islamic Bedtime Dua

The Last Supplication Before going to Bed: Islamic Bedtime Dua

 The Last Supplication Before going to Bed: Islamic Bedtime Dua

Sleep is a time when we leave behind our earthly dealings and rest in the care of Allah. We are guided on how to behave appropriately when going to bed by Islam, including sleeping on our right side, and remembering Allah by calling upon Him in dua (supplication). One of the most vital bedtime du'a is that relayed to us by Al-Bara' ibn 'Azib (may Allah be pleased with him).


This dua comprises complete trust, faith, hope and reliance and fear in the Almighty. Thisdua was instructed to his companions by the Messenger (sal allahu 'alayhi wa salam) before they went to bed for the night:

The Bedtime Supplication

It has been related from Al-Bara' bin Azib (Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (sal allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) would sleep on his side and recite: "O Allah! I have surrendered myself to You. I have committed myself to You. And I have thrown myself toward You not out of interest nor out of desire for You.I have not relied on anything except You and Your Book.

And I have never accepted any deity other than You [or I have not been happy with any deity other than You], and I have never gone to any deity other than You.

I have never believed in anything except Your Book that You sent, and Your Messenger that you sent." (Al-Bukhari 8.83.84).

'O Allah! I have submitted myself to You. I have turned my face towards You.

I have entrusted all my affairs to You.

I rely on You in all my affairs, out of desire for You and fear of You. There is no escape or refuge from You except You. I have believed in Your Book which You have revealed and in Your Prophet whom You have sent.'

On the authority of the Prophet (Sall-Allahu 'Alaihe Wa Sallam) he has said, "Whoever repeats these words when retiring to bed and dies on that night shall die a naturally adhering Muslim (i.e. According to the natural religion - Islam).

"Source: Sahih Al-Bukhari (Vol.8), Chapter: Prayers(Salaah)


The lessons learnt in this Dua

This supplication is indeed a beneficial one that serves as a reminder for every Muslim. It commences with complete submission of ourselves and turns our faces toward the Almighty before actually sleeping in our beds.

 At bedtime, people would forget their worldly concerns of work, studies, household duties, and other affairs; they can remember who holds sovereignty over everything.

It further teaches us to trust in our Lord when you hand over our affairs to him by entrusting your entire life into Allah's hands, but it also teaches us not to give up on what we know is right but rather trust Him to take care of the outcomes.

It is also a manifestation of trust in the Lord, one who holds no shortcomings or faults. It also contains a mix of hope and fear in Allah.A believer can aspire for the immense Mercy that Allah has to offer while at the same time, be mindful that he is a sinner and therefore needs to remember that eventually there will be accountability.

 Finally, the recitation comprises of an affirmation of our faith in the Holy Book we received, which was revealed by the Almighty Himself. Thus, bedtime does not simply represent time for sleep, but rather a time to remember our Lord.

A simple bed time routine:

In calculating this recited dua into your evening schedule could become a regular practice. Take a moment before preparing to sleep, and then remember Allah by reciting this dua on your right hand side before sleeping. 

Ensure you pay close attention to the meaning of each word. "Your are simply showing that you are submitting to Him by entrusting all to His care, remembering not to turn to any intermediary and seeking refuge, always, in Him solely; declaring your faith in His Book and Prophet".

Learning it word-for-word would slowly follow; and over time, it will be easily memorable when you find it natural.

Conclusion 

In essence, the final supplication recited before sleep is an ideal method of fully and whole heartedly submitting ourselves to the Almighty.

 There is also the Prophet Muhammad's (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) beautiful lesson in asking Allah to give him all his affairs which have been appointed as well as those unappointed by saying: Allah grant me sustenance from myself. "This has been instructed, to assist and bless us in all aspects of our Islamic lives both physically and mentally..". So that Muslims are guided to make use of all blessings shown and gifted towards them.

Reference: Sahih Al-Bukhari, Chapter 80: Prayers

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment

Previous Post Next Post